Friday, February 6, 2009

Taking Dennis and Julia

For the first time, John and I are thinking of taking Dennis and Julia with us when we go to Ukraine. For so many reasons, we want to do this. With our other adoptions we hadn't considered taking any of the kids because it was just too expensive---- heck, it is still too expensive, but we feel the benefits will far outweigh the cost. First off, we want Dennis to go back with us because frankly, I just don't think he would do well staying with anyone else. But another big driving force is that we are going back to the same orphanage, and we think that it would be very good for not only the people at the SDA to see Dennis, but to also have all the orphanage workers and the director to see how he is doing. Our hope is that our family and how well Dennis is doing will be an encouragement to the staff where they can feel more positive about Americans adopting their precious children. I am hopeful that this will somehow help future adoptions as well.

Many of the caretakers cried when Dennis left. If I were them, I would still be wondering how he is doing. We would love to give them that piece of mind... and hopefully we can send updates of other children adopted from the same orphanage.

I also think Alexsey would love to meet some of his siblings--- and play with them too! I can imagine playing outside with all three of them pushing Dennis and Alexsey in strollers!

We would like to take Julia with us to so that she can see what kind of environment her sisters lived in. I think it will bring her relationship with her sisters full circle as she gets a sense of just how blessed she is to have a family. Besides, she is very responsible, and has a strong desire to go------ so much that she is going to try to raise her own money for her passport and airline ticket.
This is where she can use some help! She is going to try to raise the money by crocheting bibs and scarfs. All donations will go towards the cost of her trip, so please feel free to start placing orders! These bibs would make great baby shower gifts if you don't have a child that wears bibs.

Suggested donation for each bib in your choice of color is $8.




Suggested donation for a scarf is $15

Please leave a comment or email me if you would like a bib or scarf.
P.S. I am sure many of you are wondering why Rachel isn't going since she was born in Ukraine. Well, this summer she is going to go and stay with her great Aunt Tanya for a few weeks to help care for her after she has her hand surgery. She chose this over Ukraine for similar reasons that Julia chose Ukraine. Rachel is our newest daughter and has not had the opportunity to get to spend time with this wonderful Aunt so she is excited that now she will get her chance!
The other kids are not going because they either didn't want to miss school, shouldn't miss school, didn't feel as passionate about going, or we just don't feel like it is the right time for them to go. Admittedly, one or two are a little jealous, but they also think that Julia riding an airplane and seeing what an orphanage is like will be a good thing for her so they are okay with it.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was wondering if you were going to take any of the kids with you - expected you'd take Dennis because he's still so young & you're still attaching and you're going to the same orphanage, but Julia's a surprise! if any of the older kids, i would've thought Rachel as she was born in Ukraine... but now that you've said why you'd like to take Julia, it makes a lot of sense.

Are any of the other kids reacting negatively to this? As in, jealous that she gets to go and they can't?

How can I give a small donation to Julia's trip?

-michelle

Ruth said...

I was a youth director in our church for over a decade. One thing that was did in situations was called a Youth Auction. Each kid decided what he could do and we developed into a desirable job discription.

We then opened up the bidding, introduced each kid, read what we'd made for that child and then folks began bidding. We decided that all bids needed to open up at $10.

We gave everyone a time limit that this work was for. Like 3 weeks to get them to do what they were bought to do.

(we had junior hi kids so we got very inventive.)

I think this would be a very good FAMILY auction where all the kids put themselves on the auction block to be bought and then have to work and that money goes to Alexey.

Here are some popular ideas:

Homework Tutoring
babysitting
2 of the girls could be a babysitting team that brings a dressup party in a bag so they can have a kid's theme party.
Offer to take a child to the movies with one of your kid. Personal time like that goes a long way to built a mentor for you child later on.
Yardwork - however the buyer wants. You can do that in teams also because 2 can simply get more done.
Auction off a tea party. Have 2or3 of your daughters be in charge. The girls would bring everything and clean up after the party. 2nd hand stores are great for fancy accessories. Have the girls bring dress up dresses for everyone or have the girls wear their own.
Car wash/wax, inside done and all stuff will be supplied. The boys bring buckets, sponges, soap, etc.
Raking leaves

The auction item or service goes to the highest bidder. Payment is do at end of auction. If folks don't want to pay until after services are rendered, have a final bill already written up so they can pay when the kid is finished.

I think it'd be a pretty easy fundraiser that all the kids can participate in. I think it would help encourage a feeling of truly being part of the same team and a good feeling of being part of all that's put into adopting.

Your excitement is contagious! Thanks for sharing your lives with us.

La Viajera Insaciable said...

I am absolutely thrilled about your decision to adopt Alexsey. I'm excited that I'll get to "tag along," just as I did when you went to Ukraine to adopt Dennis. I do have a question for you. Do you have a ballpark idea as to when you'll be able to travel to bring Alexsey home? Perhaps you've already addressed this, but I don't recall seeing anything about a potential timeline. I hope it's not long before you have him in your arms!
Rebecca, Mom to two beautiful Colombian daughters

Bogarantyú said...

What a wonderful idea for fundraisers! I especially love the first bib, and I'd love to get one for my nephew/niece (we have no idea what the baby is yet), but alas, postage would kill the whole thing. So I was wondering, if it would be possible to buy bibs and then have you actually either take the bibs to the Ukraine or donate them to local charities? Also, would she consider making scripture covers?

Also, can you accept donations for Julia's trip through paypal?

I know that is a lot of questions!

Bogarantyú, a former special-ed teacher from Hungary

Taylor said...

I love how you end each post in a prayer, they are so precious. I think it would be cool when both Alexsy and Dennis are older for them to see the blogs you made for their adoptions, and how much you wanted them. When are you going to Ukraine?

Kristen said...

How wonderful of an opportunity for Julia! What a bright and responsible young lady she is to want to raise money. I can see where some of the other kids would be a little jealous, but it also is a great example of wonderful parenting that they also understand.

THE CAMPBELL FAMILY said...

Christine,
We are all so happy for your family..
We love big families!!
Also we love to read your blog it's awesome!!!

The McCollum Adoption said...

I will buy all four please email me every time i try to e-mail you it bounces back.

Papedge@aol.com

Kimberley

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ok, I accidentally deleted my post!

My message is for Julia.

You could probably make wash cloths too! It would be almost the same as the bib just don't add the neck part. All you make is a square.

I think those would sell well. (or I would buy some anyway)

Faye
fayejh@gmail.com

Torina said...

Woo hoo!! I was so happy to see you are bringing Alexsey home! Excellent.

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, Christine. It'll be good for Dennis' former cargivers to see how he's grown and changed. And it will be an experience of a lifetime for Julia.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to buy two of Julia's lovely bibs. I'd like a pink and blue one, and a yellow one.
Thanks,


nielsonjb@aol.com

Karen Combes said...

Hi Christine!
I would buy wash cloths, too! I am so glad you are taking Julia, too! Quick question: It sounds like you will be going soon; when do you anticipate traveling to pick up your son?
blessings,
Karen

Sally-Girl! said...

I will take a bib for a girl. My email is sallyreed@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Julia is going! I agree with the person who suggested that she make washcloths. I too, would love to buy some and they would probably be easier. She just needs to get some of the cotton yarn.

Annie said...

Oh - I also wanted to say - wonderful idea (for lots of reasons) taking Denis. We have taken Sergei back to Russia twice to visit his old orphanage - and, once he was invited into court to speak to the judge! I know it was a VERY beneficial thing to have done for the cause of adoption in general...and it was splendid for his old friends and caregivers.

Melissa said...

I would love to help and love to get a handmade scarf. i think i still have your address, but email it again to me so i can send a check.

Chelley said...

I would love a scarf is there a way to get the money via paypay been from overseas? I would pay the shipping as well... email me

chelleyau
at
gmail.com

Melissa said...

you never emailed me you address so I cant send the check for the scarf.
verypissedoff at Verizon.net

Jessica and Chris said...

I would love to buy some bibs! I have followed your blogs since you adopted Dennis. I would like to buy 4 of them. My husband and I are adopting two children from Kazakhstan. My email is: jwearing@hotmail.com. You can email me with your address so I can send a check. Thanks so much!

Becky R said...

did she decide to do washclothes? I would like to buy some. how much are they? thanks! -Becky
jason121097@yahoo.com

Toni said...

I would love to buy 2 bibs, both for a baby girl. Please email me at drosendahl@theworks.com so we can exchange information.
Thanks Toni Rosendahl

Unknown said...

is she still taking orders for scarves? I'd like to order one in the brightest colors she can find :) since I insist on wearing all black in the winter, it will POP beautifully.

we will donate to your RR account, if that is okay with you.

Michelle said...

I am just catching up on some of your blog (I missed that you started a new one but had hoped so, so I could follow). We are also thinking about taking Nadia back with us. I'd like to take Yana too but she opted not to go last time. I don't know, we will be going back to HER orphanage if we adopt "Faith" so I think it would be great if she went. We will definitely need to figure out how to cover their costs though.

I will be interested in hearing how it goes bringing your two. I think my biggest concern though is Nadia's limited independent mobility, that can be pretty challenging in Ukraine but can't see us being apart for even one night at this point.

Michelle said...

I am just catching up on some of your blog (I missed that you started a new one but had hoped so, so I could follow). We are also thinking about taking Nadia back with us. I'd like to take Yana too but she opted not to go last time. I don't know, we will be going back to HER orphanage if we adopt "Faith" so I think it would be great if she went. We will definitely need to figure out how to cover their costs though.

I will be interested in hearing how it goes bringing your two. I think my biggest concern though is Nadia's limited independent mobility, that can be pretty challenging in Ukraine but can't see us being apart for even one night at this point.