Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Dossier

All of our paperwork for the adoption is complete and notarized. As we speak it is on its way to be apostilled! You'd think that I would feel like a load has been lifted, but in truth, there is always something else to worry about. And I hate that I worry because I know that God has His hand in all of this... but still. So now of course, my latest worry is that it could get lost in the mail, or sit on the secretary's desk for two weeks. Ugh!

And so I cling to my favorite verse:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will keep your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Meanwhile, a fellow blogger asked what a dossier is.

dos·sier - a file containing detailed records on a particular person or subject

In order to adopt from a foreign country a prospective adoptive family has to compile a list of documents referred to as a dossier, that proves that they are fit and able to adopt a child. For international adoption, a dossier might include:

* Immigration approval
* Homestudy
* Marriage Certificates
* Medicals
* Employment Verification
* Proof of Home Ownership
* Application to Adopt
* Copies of Passports
* Police Clearance Letters
* Social Worker's License
* Power of Attorney

These documents then need to be notarized and apostilled with a shiny sticker-like seal.

6 comments:

Erin said...

My son goes to a christian school, and Proverbs 3:5-6 is their school song. It's on an album by Colin Buchanan. You've probably never heard of him, but he is an incredibly popular christian childrens musician in Australia. Worth looking up. Lots of fun bible verses put to song.

Melissa said...

What great news. I know we felt a great accomplishment when we placed our dossier in the mail. I also worried that it would get lost. Thank goodness for tracking.
Melissa

Debora Hoffmann said...

California has a lovely shiny seal, but Colorado uses an embossed seal with no ink. Each state has its own different apostilles. Washington's was pretty, too. :-)

My father-in-law went to the Los Angeles Secretary of State office for us and got the apostilles in person. They will likely take care with your documents. Give all your cares to Jesus! Hugs to you!

Jenn said...

That's terrific news! :)

Tina in CT said...

What a load off your mind.

By your writing, proof of home ownership - Does that mean that people that rent cannot adopt? I surely hope that would not be held against a person or couple from becoming parents through adoption.

Holly said...

OH I so remember that feeling Christine...all that hard work...all of those precious documents, in the hands of some people who could never fathom their worth. I literally prayed over my package in the FedEx office...don't worry nobody was watching!
The Lord will go with your package my friend....He has plans for this little boy of yours and they are good! Happy Easter!